Sunday, July 25, 2010

"Come on, God, I'll Put You Up in a Great Condo!"



Recently I watched a movie that some of you may be familiar with, in this movie a guy stops to ask for directions and meets a girl, eventually things develop between the two and the guy realizes he has feelings for the girl but he isn't ready to make a serious commitment to her, so he forms a compromise. He offers to put her up in a nice apartment, get her a car and some money, and take care of her so that when he is in town he can stop by and see her. Her response to this offer is what struck me, she says the following statement:

When I was a little girl, my mama used to lock me in the attic when I was bad, which was pretty often. And I would- I would pretend I was a princess... trapped in a tower by a wicked queen. And then suddenly this knight... on a white horse with these colors flying would come charging up and draw his sword. And I would wave. And he would climb up the tower and rescue me. But never in all the time... that I had this dream did the knight say to me, "Come on, baby, I'll put you up in a great condo."

After watching this movie, this quote just really stuck with me and God began to use it to speak to me about Christians. How many times do so called Christians make similar offers to God?



Many Christians, just like with the guy in the movie, want the intimacy of a loving relationship without the commitment. It is almost as if they're saying, "Come on, God, I'll put you up in a really great condo!" Many Christians want all the benefits of being intimate with God, without having to make a serious, binding commitment to Him. They want to keep God in a "condo" somewhere so they can stop by once a week to see Him, and still be free to keep their other desires at "home" without  having conflict between the two.  God doesn't want to be put up in a condo, he wants the "fairytale" just like the girl in the movie. He wants to be our only desire, our only true love, not a one night stand! God wants and desires a true relationship with us and we should, if we love Him, desire to give Him exactly what He wants. We SHOULD want to spend the rest of our lives making HIM happy and falling deeper in love with Him and becoming more intimate with Him.



If you have messed up in this area, which I am sure we all have at some point in our lives, it isn't too late. You can repent to Him for not honoring and caring for Him the way you should, for not treasuring Him, and commit yourself fully to Him! The following lyrics are a great way to commit your life to God, wake up singing these words to Him and watch your life change!


This is my desire, to honor You
Lord with all my heart I worship You
All I have within me
I give You praise
All that I adore is in You
Lord I give You my heart
I give You my soul
I live for You alone
Every breath that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have Your way in me


Make a commitment to put His desires and His will above your own, and make a commitment to honor and cherish Him all the days of your life! Don't offer God a condo, offer Him the whole fairytale - a life spent deeply and madly in love with Him!


Be Blessed,

JRT

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! :) I love how God can use something as simple as a line from a movie to share His heart with us and teach us a lesson! :)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete