I’ve really been inspired on the topic of “Waiting for Prince Charming” and the qualities of a virtuous, godly woman in today’s society, so I may write a series on these topics, but we’ll see…
So many times we girls grow up on fairytales and only focus on the main points, girl meets an attractive guy who turns out to be Prince Charming and they live happily ever after. What so many seem to miss are the important hidden lessons in these stories. It seems as girls we get in our head that all to it is just finding someone that we are in love with because of his dreamy eyes, adorable nose, heartthrob smile, etc. and nothing else matters. While that seems to be the pervasive theme of most fairytales, I feel the classic fairytales and the final authority, the Bible, yield the perfect example of what a True Prince Charming looks like.
Some important things to consider when looking for Prince Charming ... While he may be cute to look at, does he exhibit the qualities of a good husband?
1. Does he have a strong relationship with God? Not simply does he go to church and sound spiritual, but does he have a true, established passion for God and His Word even behind closed doors when the spotlight is off?
2. Does he have a home? While it doesn't have to be Buckingham Palace, Prince Charming always has a Castle to bring his Princess home to! A godly, upright man preparing to be a good husband shows an admirable quality in making sure he has his own place to bring a wife home to. Love may make you feel good, but that feeling can turn to sadness if your castle turns out to be a cardboard box!
3. Does he have his own means of Transportation? It doesn't have to be a gilded chariot, but even Prince Charming had his own faithful steed to ride off into the sunset on with his Princess. A good man will make sure he is responsible and a good provider by having his own means of transportation, it shows he will be a provider not only to his wife, but to the children that will eventually come!
4. Does he exhibit independence and courage? He doesn’t have to be a complete loner, but Prince Charming seems to always be confident and doesn’t have to have the attention of others to be sure of himself. Prince Charming fights off the enemy on his own with virtue and true strength, a True Prince Charming is able to stand tall and strong, even if he is alone and in spite of insecurities. If you find that you are the one having to be strong and having to nurse his insecurities, it may be that he is a pauper and not a prince.
5. Does he make you feel that you are his everything, or does he demand to be you’re everything? In the fairytales, Prince Charming would fight weather, dangers untold, dragons, etc to show his love to the girl, to make her truly know that she was his everything, but never once did I see Prince Charming blow fire out of his nostrils if the girl didn’t treat him the way he thought he should be treated, it always seemed that the villain was the one forcing the girl to give him her undivided attention, not the Prince. But I see a lot of girls who think such guys are their Prince, when in reality…. They’re just the villain. For a True Prince Charming is virtuous, godly, and understands that while responsibility and commitment may capture his Princess’ attention, it doesn’t mean she loves him any less, it just means she’s the Princess and helpmate he always wanted – able to love him with all her heart and still love and cherish all the people under their rule (or in their social circle, ministry, organization, etc).
The Bible also gives us some excellent examples of what qualities a True Prince Charming should possess. A good husband possesses many great qualities, but some important ones to consider when looking for Prince Charming are as follows:
- He is kind and compassionate. (Eph. 4:32)
- He is honest. (Prov. 12:17, 16:13, 29:24, 2 Kings 12:15)
- He is hard-working. (Prov. 12:11, 27:23-27, Acts 20:35, 1 Cor. 4:12, 1 Thess. 2:9, 5:12)
- He is truthful.(Prov. 12:17-19, Eph. 4:25)
- He exhibits self-control. (Prov. 12:15, 16:32, 25:28, 1 Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:8, 2:2)
- He is a man of integrity. (Prov. 11:12, 19:1, 20:7, Job 27:5, Ps. 41:12, 78:72, 2 Cor. 1:12, Titus 2:7)
- He is faithful, trustworthy, and reliable. (1 Sam. 12:24, Prov. 17:17, 29:3, 1 Tim. 3:2, 3:12, Titus 1:6)
“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word, That He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things [that she might be holy and faultless]. Even so husbands should love their wives as [being in a sense] their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself. For no man ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and carefully protects and cherishes it, as Christ does the church, Because we are members (parts) of His body. For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is very great, but I speak concerning [the relation of] Christ and the church. However, let each man of you [without exception] love his wife as [being in a sense] his very own self; and let the wife see that she respects and reverences her husband [that she notices him, regards him, honors him, prefers him, venerates, and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves and admires him exceedingly]. [I Pet. 3:2.]” ~ Ephesians 5:25-33 AMP
The Bible has a lot to say about the characteristics of a good, godly man and that is the example that we girls should look at when looking for a future husband!
There’s so much more that I could say on this topic, but for now I will conclude and save the rest for another blogpost. I hope these words of advice help all the single girls of all ages in exactly what to look for in a True Prince Charming. You may have to walk alone for a period of time, but your refusal to compromise will be rewarded with having a Prince for life and not a pauper.
Waiting for my Prince,